***100 Remote can sit anywhere*** Edits content for accuracy and spelling/grammatical errors
The copy editor is responsible for editing clinical nursing courseware content for multiple digital courses including lesson content and ancillary materials. This role requires the ability to meet strict deadlines follow specific product style guidelines and communicate with team members in a timely manner as well as technical competency and the ability to quickly learn and use new technologies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Ensures consistency of style in accordance with established product style rules
Ensures illustrations are correctly placed and edits captions credit lines and labels
Collaborates with others on the editorial team as needed
~30 hours per week with the possibility of more
Must be available to work core hours but the specific schedule is flexible
Experience editing healthcare content for a clinical audience
Expertise working in Word and Excel
Strong knowledge of AMA style
Strong communication and organizational skills
Comfortable with learning new technologies as needed
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FROM MANAGER:
1. To get started can you give me a quick overview of your team and what you do?
The eLearning editorial team consists on nonclinical editors and coordinators who in coordination with project managers clinical editors and developers manage the content update process for online nursing courseware aimed at students and practicing nurses seeking continuing education credit. The team provides copy editing proofreading and image coordination as needed for eLearning courses.
2. The person who will be successful in this role will be somebody who?
Has strong knowledge of clinical healthcare content and experience in healthcare publishing has the ability to produce high-quality work on tight deadlines and is able to juggle multiple projects simultaneously.
3. What would you say are the TOP 3 must-have skills youre looking for? Measurable skills technologies etc.
1 Experience copy editing clinical nonconsumer healthcare content 2 strong skills in Word and Excel and the ability to quickly learn new technologies as needed 3 knowledge of AMA style
4. How many years of experience are you looking for? As you start to go through resumes what would stand out to you as the BEST candidate versus an AVERAGE candidate?
At least 5 years of professional healthcare copy editing experience.
The best candidate would:
Be someone who has worked for one of the major STM publishers as opposed to for instance someone whose experience is primarily with a small independent website. The candidate must have experience with professional healthcare content ie not consumer facing.
5. Does your team work standard core hours or does that vary?
We dont have standard core hours per se and it doesnt matter to me when they work but I would prefer someone who is able to regularly monitor and respond to emails within normal business hours.
6. Do you need someone with a particular degree or certification?
7. What are some of the performance indicators youll be looking for once this person ramps up? Meeting deadlines quality of work etc.
o High-quality copy editing with 95 of errors corrected in a given document
o Consistently meeting deadlines and communicating when issues arise that might jeopardize a deadline
o Following the specified style guidelines
8. With some of the other huge tech companies out there competition for talent at all levels can get pretty tough at times. When suppliers start sourcing what would you say are some of the main selling points that would get candidates interested in your role over another?
We have a great working environment in Digital Content with a strong supportive team environment the ability to work from home with flexible hours and a healthy work-life balance that is evident in actions not just in words. In addition at Elsevier you have the opportunity to do truly meaningful work that can have a positive lasting impact.
9. What will your interview process look like? Phone and or face to face 30 or 1 hour
Camera-on 30-minute Zoom interview