What You'll Be Doing:
Insight Global is looking for a Controls Design Engineer (electrical focused) to specialize in completing cradle to grave system design and integration work for project completion with one of our clients in Indianapolis, IN. This is a direct-hire, permanent role and we are looking for an engineer with 5+ years of experience designing, developing, and supervising most aspects of electrical controls systems, equipment, and machinery. We are looking for someone who can think on their feet and open to learning new tools and technologies -- this person will rarely ever design the same system over & over; in fact, they've never really made the same machine twice. They're also looking for someone who is a natural problem solver since you'll be figuring out design tasks with minimal help, ensuring project schedules are running accordingly, meeting with the customer, and more. Their designs are electrical panel schematics (wiring diagrams and panel layouts), and this person should be able to specify the components needed for the system and develop the schematics and panel layout from scratch. It's also important to note that the team runs projects "cradle to grave" meaning that a lot of times the same engineer does the electrical design, software design and startup of the equipment. In addition to electrical control panel design, this person will participate in specking, component measurements, instrumentation, etc. When you are traveling, you're working on projects for the company's clients in the manufacturing arena, including medical device companies, automotive companies, food & beverage companies, and more. Candidates must have experience with PLC programming, familiar with HMI programming, experience using AutoCAD-like programs and must understand electrical wiring and controls (this is not a mechanical-focused Controls Engineering role). Up to 30% of your time in this role will be spent on domestic travel, so it's required you have a valid driver's license, valid passport or willing to get one (if you don't have a passport but are willing to get one, the company will help you with that), and ability to travel to customer facilities when required. Most domestic travel is within a 2--3-hour radius of the office, and on average Engineers travel about 18% of the year. Please let us know if this is a job you'd be interested in -- we'd love to talk with you more about it!
Target Travel Breakdown:
All travel expenses are paid for when working on domestic projects. Ex: hotel, mileage, rental car fees, etc. 80-90% of project work is completed locally.
- In Office/Remote at home: 70%
- Local travel: 20%
- Overnight: 10%
Target Role Breakdown:
- Technical: 100%
- Management: 0%
- Leadership: 0%
Breakdown of Focus Areas:
* Up to 40% of time spent in Client/People Management.
* Up to 40% of time spent as a Solutions Architect (building a framework to meet customer needs and applies appropriate industry standards).
* 20% of time spent as a developer (builds and programs actual system components and follows applicable standards, as directed by Project Managers).
Environment: Manufacturing Electronic Controls Design Engineering - Industrial Automation & Industrial Controls
-Associate degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related Must-Haves:
- 5+ years of experience with electrical and/or software design from scratch
- Must understand electrical wiring and basic controls, should be able to specify the components needed for a system and develop the schematics and panel layout from scratch
- Rockwell or Allen Bradley PLC programming experience
- Experience with PLC Ladder Logic
- HMI programming experience (Rockwell, Siemens, etc.)
- Experience commissioning, troubleshooting, testing, and debugging; should be comfortable with cradle to grave project work (electrical design, software design, and startup of the equipment)
- Strong project documentation
- Valid driver's license, valid passport/ability to obtain a passport, and the ability to travel to customer facilities when required (please see travel breakdown below)
-Associate degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related Technology field
-Experience working in an Industrial Automation or Manufacturing setting
-Robotics visions systems experience
-Electrical control panel design experience
-Plant Engineer background